Skip to main content

A little more color

This month has gone by CrAzY fast.  I've had these first items made for almost two weeks, but haven't had the chance to blog about them or share them because our family is going through a fairly significant mental health crisis, so I apologize for not sharing more color this month.  I had fully intended to share so much more than I have, but my family has moved center stage.


I have made the Sunshine Dress by Patterns for Pirates before, somehow though I've never made it for myself.  I love maxi dresses as much as I love color, so when my fabric cutting fairy (a.k.a. my husband) cut the skirt the wrong direction I took the chance to add a pop of pink at the bottom.  The color of the dress isn't as bright as I would normally go for.  I was aiming for a spring/Easter look and wasn't disappointed by Raspberry Creek Fabric's Double Brushed Poly.  

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     I had four yards of this beautiful fabric, after a few cutting mistakes....sometimes fabric fairies have off days...I still have a little left.  I didn't lengthen the bodice at all because I prefer a bodice that hits closer to empire waist.  I did add 3" for height to the skirt for my 5'11" height, well and I really like loooooong skirts.  Maxi's should be long, and I like to embrace that.
This dress makes me feel elegant and pretty.  Maybe it's just the color, which these pictures don't do justice.  It's hard to get the color just right when there's pink involved because it turns hot pink really quickly if anything is messed with when editing.


My next make is the RagDoll by Patterns for Pirates.  I'm apparently on a P4P kick!  I really like the RagDoll and have been wanting another one.  I made several during testing and haven't made any since then.  



 The Ragdoll is so, sooooo, sooooooooooooooo comfortable!  
And, in Cotton Lycra from Raspberry Creek Fabric, I feel like I'm wearing pajamas all day long.


 I again went with a little bit more springy colors for these.  I had just finished my last finals before starting my internship for my bachelors degree and so this is my "Congratulations, you've finished your last finals...FINALLY!  And it's SPRING!  You get a new dress." 

I really like the knee length dress on this Ragdoll.  I wear a lot of dresses this length and pair them with leggings year round.  During the summer I add sandals or flats and in the winter I add some fun boots.  And, don't forget those fingernails....I never go without glitter or bright colors on my nails either.  The bright turquoise/teal on my nails in this picture is even glow in the dark! 

And, I figured I'd share a couple of my more recent makes that haven't made it onto a blog post yet.  









This is the Mix It Up Dress by George+ Ginger.  The fabric I used is from Thread & Grain Threads of the month club.  It's a liverpool type fabric.  It's such a fun fabric! 

 And this one is the Sporty Piko by Patterns for Pirates in a Cherry Red Tie Dye from Mily Mae Fabric.  Out of all of the ones I've written about in this post, I have to say this fabric is hands down my favorite.  The cherry red is so vivid  in this top!  I am so drawn to it.  I tried really hard to resist buying it, but I'm so glad I did!  It makes me SO happy!



 Each of the pieces I have sewn bring me happiness when I wear them.  On the darkest of days when life doesn't look like it's going to ever be bright again, I open my closet and it literally shines.  And maybe that's truly why I choose so much color, regardless though in the end; color makes me happy and it helps me define who I am as a person.  

As always, keep on sharing the love!
~Chaney



Comments