Skip to main content

Slouchy Headwarmer by Patterns for Pirates

I am constantly on the watch for great headbands.  
The funny thing is, I love them yet rarely wear them because I have a HUGE head.
No really, 24” is humongous!  Particularly when the average head size is  21”.


That being said, I have been handed THE BEST Headband/Headwarmer EVER!  And, I’ve worn this everyday since I made it!  That’s saying A LOT!!


So, go grab your cutting mat, rotary cutter, ruler, and fabric because when I’m done telling you about it, you are going to want to make one (or 50 billion...whichever comes last!)

I was pretty convinced I’d have to add to the 20” x 20” square when I made my first Headwarmer.  I may have been a *little* shocked when it fit.  NOTHING ever fits my head.  Seriously!  I see cute hats in the store and they never fit my noggin.  I had been late to pick-up my daughter because I wanted to finish it before I left to pick her up.  So, I handed it to her to try on.  I was convinced that if it fit me, it wouldn’t fit her.  It did fit her!  And to top it off, she got out of the car and went to her class with it on!  Besides feeling a tad robbed because she took off with my Headwarmer, I was elated that it would fit both of us.


So, I set out to make more....out of sweater knit!  I had just finished my newest RagDoll top and wanted a Slouchy headwarmer to match.  I ended up with several because my girls kept stealing them right after I was done with them.  My 9 year-old walked by, plopped it on her head, declared that it fit and walked away.  The only day she hasn’t warn it since it’s been done is Sunday and that’s because I refused to let her wear it to church.  The teen too keeps pulling hers out to wear and is making them for her friends for Christmas.



It’s really easy to make, and once you figure out how to make it into a beanie...there’s no going back to another plain headwarmer!


You can follow the tutorial HERE....no need to print any pieces!!

And, you can see the fabulous Katy McKinley’s video on how to make magic happen and transform the headwarmer into a beanie HERE.

Stay tuned for tomorrow’s freebie!  You’re going to LOVE it!

Comments