Skip to main content

Top Tester: Walk the Plank

 I had the opportunity to participate in Pattern for Pirates Top Tester this last week.
They were looking to add to their testing pool and if I remember correctly about 545ish people were in that group.  It was crazy, but a fun experience.

There are two patterns; both are unisex pajama pants.  One for youth and one for adults.  The adult pattern contains several different inseams which is lovely for people like me who have a spouse who has a 30 inch inseam but likes to wear a 32 inch inseam.  And me who wears a 36 inch inseam.  

I tested the youth size 14 pattern originally thinking I’d need to grade the pattern.  I tend to have to do that because my kids are skinny!  However, this is a very straight forward pattern that is meant to be loose and comfy.  There was no grading required at all.  That made my life easy!  Both of my boys wear a size 14, but have slightly different waist sizes.  With this pattern I didn’t need to worry about that because of how it is meant to fit.  

There are also three different lengths to choose from, pant length, knee length (as seen on my boys) and short a seen on my eldest daughter.  My youngest daughter’s is supposed to be knee length, but she is a size 4 in the waist and yet needed about size 7 or 8 in the length. I was going to make a 7 in length and realized my flannel had shrunk....a lot! None of the other flannel shrunk as much as this did, so I had to shorten her’s just a little.  
Miss. Opinionated Teen girl was pretty convinced these shorts were going to be WAY too short.  She’s very picky on how long her shorts are.  She was pleasantly surprised that these aren’t as short as she thought they were going to be.

The best part about this pattern is just how quickly it comes together! Granted, I sew a lot. However, each leg only has one seam going up the inside of the leg, then you sew the legs together, add the elastic to the waistband, flip the waist band over and top stitch it and hem them. I literally sewed four pairs of them in a little over 2 hours. They are a wonderful, easy pajama pants pattern that I’ll be sewing for a long time to come.







If you’re intimidated by knit fabric, this is the pattern for you! It’s meant for woven (although I’m sooooo going to break the rules and make them out of knit...I’m a rule follower like that.) and the fit is super comfy in the flannel fabric I made them in. . And now for the most FANTABULOUS part of this pattern....are you ready for it? It’s FREE! You can get the Adult Walk the Plank Pattern Here And the kids pattern Here And while you’re at it, joint the Patterns for Pirates Facebook page! They are seriously amazing in that group! So helpful and always willing to help you troubleshoot anything you’re making!

Comments