Skip to main content

Testing: Delaney Dress & Tunic

Only one of my children fits this pattern.  ONE.  The rest of them are begging me to find them a pattern like this that will fit them.  I'm not joking.  It has a hood, it has a kangaroo pocket (that is technically just an "option" but is a MUST in my home).  It's literally their dream shirt.  My 8 year-old is on cloud 9 that she is lucky enough to already have two of them in her closet.  She emptied her closet of all the store bought shirts she had left in her closet, brought them to me and asked me to replace them with the Delaney Tunic from Peek-a-boo Patterns.


 Technically she is a size 4 around the chest.  However, she's not very big on wearing tight clothing.  So, I made an 8 in both length and width.  This tunic is the perfect length to pair with leggings or jeans or even Khakis.  As it was 106 degrees when we took the above pictures we had to go digging for pants and she had out grown most of them, so Khakis it was!

When I was cutting out the pattern I found I was about a half an inch short of fabric due to the fact she wanted the tunic made out of this fabric.  I knew I was going to be cutting it close to begin with but I hoped.  I could have ordered more and it would have come in time to have everything done, but instead I decided to hack the sleeves just a little and put in the slice of pink.  I liked the color difference enough that I did it on purpose to the next tunic I made even though I had enough fabric for the sleeves. 

With the bat tunic sleeves I measured on the pattern an inch (on the fold side) and folded it in, then cut out the sleeve.  Then I cut out 2 inches (because it would open on the seam) plus seam allowance (don't forget your seem allowance or the sleeves won't fit right!) and sewed it in.  I also decided I didn't want a long sleeve, short sleeve or a 3/4 sleeve but rather wanted it to sit at her elbows.  I cut it so that when I hemmed the sleeves it would hit her right at the elbow.  I also hacked the bat tunic just a little bit more (not entire on purpose, my husband and I were planning our upcoming vacation and I wasn't paying 100% attention to cutting out) and I cut out two fronts.  It still works great as a tunic, she just doesn't have the high low that the Delaney is meant to have.  


This was such a great, easy tunic to put together!  From cutting out to finished it took a little over an hour and that included the time it took hacking the sleeves and making sure they would work for the original tunic.  The Kangaroo Pocket was placed perfectly on the pattern for Miss. Thang to put her hands in, and I really love how the pocket is done.  The instructions are easy to follow and this tunic will be a staple in her wardrobe for a long time!  Perhaps she'll even learn to sew them herself!

You can buy the Delaney Dress and Tunic here:  Peek-A-Boo Pattern Shop

Flower tunic fabric is from:  http://purpleseamstressfabric.com/

(the black stripe in the sleeve and black in the hood is from the purple seamstress)


Comments