Skip to main content
Sometimes seem rippers are my friends.  
Have you ever wondered how much money you've thrown away in wasted thread?  I have.  Especially since I started using nicer thread,  I love Gutterman thread.  It's so much better than other thread which shall remain nameless.

As all of the swim suit fabric started rolling out in the groups on Facebook and then cute swim suit patterns started appearing as well, I couldn't help but start buying what felt like all of Zenith & Quasar's swim fabric.  We all know I didn't because let's face it, I don't have enough room in my house nor do I have the disposable income to do so....maybe Heaven will have unlimited fabric storage????  Anyway, back on topic.  I was so scared to sew a swim suit.  About a year and a half ago I had gone to Joann's and bought some swim fabric and the fabric lady scared the sewing fun right out of me.  She went on and on about how difficult it was to sew a swim suit.  I reasoned that it couldn't be that difficult if all of these women were posting fantastic pictures of them rocking their suits all over Facebook.  So I turned to my second favorite place to research (non-educational research that is), Pinterest.  And I came across Patterns for Pirates "basics for sewing swim" (see that page here....http://www.patternsforpirates.com/swim-basics/).  I had succeeded at making scrundies, a couple Henley's and a Jolly Roger, along with a couple George and Ginger patterns, so I could make a swim suit!  I pulled out my cheap fabric to practice my 8 year-old's "swim suit of her dreams".  The Marilyn Vintage Swim Suit from Peek-a-Boo Patterns.  My muslin REALLY loved my seem ripper.  That stuff is so slippery!  However, by the time I was done "assembling" my muslin I had it figured out.  Swim fabric wasn't as hard as I thought, I just had to use a few tricks to get it to sew right.  

Once I pulled out my Zenith & Quasar swim fabric though, WOW! 
!

 What a difference from the cheap fabric!  It didn't slip everywhere.  It was fantastic to sew with.  My 15 year-old who vowed not to sew any more swim fabric after attempting with the cheaper fabric decided she could after using my nice fabric.  And, the suit went together so nicely!  Miss. Thang adores it, so much so that she has found more fabric in my stash and has asked for another one. 
Miss. Thang
Swim Suits for my itty bitty nieces who live WAY to far away from their Auntie!




So, if you haven't tried sewing a swim suit or rash guard, DO IT!  Really!  It's not as hard as we all tell ourselves, and when we make them ourselves we know they fit right!

Happy sewing!

Comments